Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Kid Does Not Know What He’s in For!

For those of you who personally know me, you know that I’m a pretty laid back mom. I don’t freak out over every little bruise and scrape. I let Nikolas experiment with all sorts of different stuff as long as it’s generally safe. And I even let him summersault once or twice down the stairs before catching him.

Okay, who am I kidding? I’ve never moved so fast in my life as when I saw him falling down the stairs this morning. I grabbed his arm (or maybe it was a leg) mid-summersault as he was falling end over end like a rag doll. But, he was not hurt. We were both a little shaken up, and continued on with our day. Drama-free, just as I like it.

And most of all, I harass my kid as much as I can. Why? Because I’m the mom, of course! After all a parent goes through, if you don’t come out the other side with a wicked sense of humour, sweetie, you are fucked.

Recently, I’ve made a point of not putting shoes on Nikolas if we are going out and I am not anticipating him crawling anywhere and dragging the tops of his feet along some dirty floor or grass in the playground. If it’s nice enough, he goes barefoot, just like his mama.

Lately, it has been a little chilly here, so it’s just been socks for him. While I’m driving, I can see him in the rear view mirror yanking and tugging on his socks until at least one of them is off, and he’ll chew on his foot. It really is funny to watch this unfold.

So tonight, we all went grocery shopping – yes, Matt was actually home to join us – and on the way home, Nikolas was grunting and getting super frustrated because he could not get his socks off. Matt and I were both giggling in the front seat, amused by this. Matt had to pull over on the side of the road to grab a snack from the grocery bags. He was just that hungry that he couldn’t wait another 10 minutes to get home. So, while he was rooting around in the back, I hopped out and went to help Nikolas get his socks off. What a look of relief that came over his face! But then, (THEN!!) I took the socks and put each one on each of his hands, shut his door and hopped back into the front seat.

We got to spend the next few minutes laughing hysterically while our poor boy struggled and fought to get those socks off his hands! And when it comes to being frustrated, the boy is JUST LIKE HIS MAMA. He flailed his hands about, screaming and moaning like it was the end of the world.

Really, this boy is in for a world of being teased as he grows up. And I can’t wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails