Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Perfect Day

Yesterday was such an awesome day. It was one of those days that I’d foolishly fantasize about when I was pregnant and lovingly folding baby clothes and getting the nursery ready for the baby to arrive. It really was that good – relatively speaking. I mean, babies still cry sometimes and the dog still pisses me off on a daily basis. But it was as good as it could be, given the circumstances.

We had our normal daily routine, which I love. I LOVE LOVE LOVE our mornings. It could be because Nikolas normally naps around 2 hours, and it’s when I get my “me time” to laze about and chill-ax, or if I’m feeling especially ambitious, I enjoy a long hot shower and maybe, just maybe, shave my legs. Top AND bottom. We have lazy mornings around here. Nikolas gets up anywhere between 8:00 – 8:30, then we have one of very few snuggle times of the day on the couch wrapped up in a big fuzzy blanket while he has a bottle. Then it’s play time for him, coffee time for me, and within 1.5 hours, breakfast time. After which he promptly goes down for a nap.

We had no plans for the afternoon, so I thought it’d be nice to pack up the dog and head to the city to one of the off leash parks. I had a specific park in mind, but when we drove there, there were Road Closed signs leading up to it! I’m hoping they are just fixing the road, and that the whole park isn’t shut down! So, we turned around and went a little bit further to the Buena Vista off leash park, which is nestled in the river valley. And it’s the most amazing dog park – for a few reasons.

1. It’s stroller friendly

2. It’s freakin huge! There are tons of trails and trees. The dogs get to gallivant in the water. Keko had SUCH a great time.

3. It is my happy place. I love being in the river valley, hitting the trails and enjoying some fresh air. It used to be “my thing”. It’s what I did for fun on almost a daily basis when we lived in the city and had no animals or children that had to be brought along.

Needless to say, I’m going to try my hardest to get back there as much as possible before the season ends.

After enjoying the park for a good hour, I packed up the dog and the baby, and we made our way home. Nikolas quickly fell asleep – I only had to sing “You are my Sunshine” twice. I successfully got him into the house and into his crib where he continued to sleep for another hour while I relaxed on the front porch soaking up the sunshine.

We had more fun as we headed out after supper to pick up a few things at the grocery store where Nikolas did NOT pull any produce off the shelves, specifically blueberries. I learned my lesson last week not to leave the shopping cart within arms’ reach of anything.

Matt came home just in time to put Nikolas to bed while I poured myself a vodka and cranberry pop and put my feet up for the rest of the evening.

This may not sound so perfect or exciting to my friends who have no kids. But trust me, it was a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails