Saturday, August 7, 2010

I Owe, I Owe, It’s Back to Work I Go...


  

Oh. My. God.

Only 6 weeks of maternity leave left. Where has the time gone? It seems like the kids were just let out of school for summer holidays yesterday. I had a whole summer ahead of me to enjoy. Now, the stores are filled with Back-to-School supplies and some days I feel like fall is in the air. And now I’m dreading going back to work, and really enjoying all the spare time I have right now.

Just yesterday, I was home all day with Nikolas and after his afternoon nap, I found myself feeling BORED. I just didn’t know what to do to entertain him anymore. We had gone for our daily walk with the dog, I didn’t have to go into the city to do any shopping, we didn’t have any play dates. I was looking for any excuse to leave the house. But I had no where to go! Sure, I had lots of stuff to do, but alot of it had to be done when he was sleeping, and a person can only clean their house so much. I know that in a few months I’ll be looking back on my maternity leave and think to myself how nice it was to have so much free time!

Thankfully, I’m only going back to work part time. I’ve told my current employer (who hired me when I was already pregnant, so I only worked for them for 6 months) that I’m not interested in continuing on in my career in I.T, and that I’d just like to do some administrative type of work. Nothing to heavy. Just something I can do 3 days a week so I can help out with mortgage payments. And I really really do not want to work 5 days a week, never get to spend quality time with my son and be crazy busy every day running around doing errands and endless work around the house. I am willing to sacrifice the awesome salary I used to bring home so I can be here for Nikolas. This is where I belong. Also, I have a couple ventures on the side I'm working on.

Unfortunately, my current employer was unable to come up with any kind of work for me, so once my maternity leave is over, my employment with them is terminated. They were really good about it, and keeping me employed until September is awesome, so that I can still have my health benefits. Someone has to pay for my monthly massage; I sure as hell can’t afford it!

So, I’ve approached a former employer. A company that terminated my position while I was on my honeymoon. They were negatively affected by the downturn in the economy, and since my role was not a necessity to the company, it was slashed. I don’t blame them at all for it. They are probably the best company I have worked for, and I’ve always stayed in touch with them. The ladies there even threw a baby shower for Nikolas....more than a year after I had left! If that isn’t awesome, I don’t know what is. So they’ve known for a few months that they were my “Plan B” and I’ve recently been in touch to let them know that I now need them to help me out with a job. There just happens to be a job available that fits my needs and is extremely flexible, so now I’m just waiting to find out if it’s a go. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I even have a day home lined up already, which is a huge relief, being that finding quality childcare here in Beaumont is a challenge. Now, I’m worrying about how I will get Nikolas onto a schedule where both he and I have to be ready and out the door for 7:15 am when we don’t usually don’t get out of bed until 8:30-ish. It’s going to be a struggle for sure. It will be easy once golf season is over and Matt will be home in the mornings. But the first few weeks are going to be a struggle for sure.

In the mean time, I'm going to try to do as much fun stuff as possible and enjoy the rest of the summer with my little man!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails