Tuesday, March 16, 2010

PPD Update

I really feel like I have it under control. After posting my previous post, I got OVERWHELMING supporting responses from family and friends. I really had happy tears in my eyes reading all the messages that where sent. If I did not personally respond to you, believe me, it was my intention to do so. But if you were missed, Thank You for your support. It really means so much to me. Everyone really does go through the bad times, it’s just that some are worse than others, and some of those times, it’s just hard to keep it all together. Since then, I’ve been to my doctor and am now on some antidepressants, and it really feels like they are working. With the help of my local health unit, I’ve registered with a support group that starts up in April that deals specifically with PPD and different issues that surround it.

My doctor recommended that Matt and I alternate nights being on “baby duty” so that I can get caught up on my sleep. I think that this has been such a great idea, and it has helped so much. For the past few weeks, I’d had the WORST insomnia. There is not much that is worse than being totally and utterly exhausted, and then not being able to sleep. For almost 2 weeks now, I’ve had great sleeps, even when I’m on “duty”. That has probably been the biggest contributing factor to me feeling much, much better.

Okay.

The drugs help too.

The mornings where I’d wake up and dread the day ahead are behind me. I now wake up to the sound of my sweet boy’s voice as he lays in bed “talking” to himself and playing in his crib. I get excited and can’t wait to see my baby. And best of all, I’ve given myself permission to rock him to sleep for his naps. I’ve pushed all the advice of the “experts” to the back of my mind and just do whatever works. Nikolas needs his sleep and I need my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails